Sunday, September 9, 2018

Pumpkins are Fall - GDP154 Challenge card

I love fall, the crisp air, falling leaves and all things feeling like a new beginning.  To me nothing screams fall more than pumpkins.  When this weeks sketch challenge was posted for the Global Design Project blog I wanted to add my own personal challenge to it and to use the sketch to create a fun fall themed card.  Here's the sketch for this weeks challenge:

Right off the bat, I knew I wanted to stick close to the sketch provided.  I loved it and its a great base to work with.  So many possibilities of what I could use, but I choose to use the new designer series paper: Frosted Floral.  Here's what I came up with:





Blackberry Bliss is such a rich vibrant colour and I love the way it combines with Old Olive.  I wanted the pumpkin to be the POP on my card so I decided it needed a layer between it and my floral background.  Here's how the card came together.

I started with a Blackberry Bliss base and added a layer of the Frosted Floral designers paper.  I next adhered a strip of Old Olive cardstock.  I embossed my cardstock with the new Swirls & Curls embossing folder and placed it about 3/4 down on my card front.  I next wrapped some linen thread over my Old Olive strip.

Next I took a scrap of Crumb Cake and embossed it with the Tin Tile embossing folder.  I took my Soft Suede ink and a sponge and sponged over the cardstock to give the embossed image more dimension.  I then tore a section of it to give it a rough edge.  I made sure that my torn section would be large enough to show around my pumpkin.  I adhered this piece to my card base using Stampin' dimentionals.  I placed it towards the right side of the card.

I next took my Stitched shapes framelits (honestly a set everyone should have - its such a great value for what you receive) and die cut the smallest oval three times using Pumpkin Pie cardstock.  I layered my ovals side by side and used Stampin' dimentionals for the middle oval to pop it up.  I cut out a stem from Early Espresso cardstock and adhered it to the top centre of my pumpkin. 

I added some greenery at the top of my pumpkin by die cutting some Old Olive cardstock with a die from the Detailed Deer thinlits.  I next added some bunched up Gold metallic thread to the centre of my Crumb Cake piece and then adhered my pumpkin over top.

I stamped my sentiment from the Rooted in Nature stamp set using my Blackberry Bliss ink and cut out the strip thinly.  I flagged the ends and added it over top of my pumpkin.

Next I added some elements to the top left corner of my card.  I again bunched up a small amount of Gold Metallic thread and adhered it to my card base.  I cut out a small banner from what was left of my die cut Crumb Cake piece and adhered it over the gold thread using Stampin' Dimentionals.  I then die cut the stitched heart from the stitched label dies out of Pumpkin Pie cardstock and adhered it off kilter from the banner.

I finished the card by spritzing some Wink of Stella over my entire card.

I was so happy with my finished card.  I love the combination of colours.  It's not something I would of normally combined together but love the results. 

There are some great cards this week posted and you can check them all out HERE.

Happy fall to everyone - have fun stamping and see you next time!

 Product List


No comments: